India lacks quality education: Pranab Mukherjee | Deccan Chronicle
Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 | Last Update : 01:01 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

India lacks quality education: Pranab Mukherjee

DC | S. Prasad | 26th Sep 2013
President Pranab Mukherjee awarding degree to a student at the 23rd convocation of Pondicherry Central University on Wednesday. 	— DC
President Pranab Mukherjee awarding degree to a student at the 23rd convocation of Pondicherry Central University on Wednesday. — DC

Puducherry: President Pranab Muk­herjee on Wednesday expressed concern over lack of quality education in India and said  Indian universities did not figure among the top-ranked universities in the world.

Addressing students on the 23rd convocation of the Pondicherry Cen­tral University, Muk­herjee said the country’s ancient education system had dominated the world for about 1,800 years ago from the 6th century B.C. during which ancient Indian varsities like Taksh­ashila, Nalanda, Vikra­m­ashila, Valabhi, Soma­pura and Odantapuri were the seats of world class education centres.

“There is a dearth of quality academic institutions to prepare our next generation. The central importance of higher education in a country’s development is well recognised. If we are to grow as a nation, the education system has to figure prominently in the template of progress. Right to Education has become a reality. We have to now stress on Right Educ­ation,” he added.

Mukherjee said teaching and research were the two eyes of a university. While high standards in teaching have to be achieved, high quality research that will push knowledge frontiers and evolve technologies for development have to be promoted.

Local technological needs have to be addressed by our universities, he said, by creating research and development centres for such technologies in the campuses. “India is an aspiring nation. We can reach the zenith but it requires everyone’s sacrifices. You are all capable and intelligent minds. It is your duty to take our country forward. Do all that is necessary to realise our country’s goal.”

Lt Governor and varsity’s chief rector  Viren­dra Kataria, chief ninister Rangasamy, Uni­on minister of state in PMO V. Narayansamy and Rajya Sabha MP P. Kan­nan also participated.

Pranab Mukherjee lauds Aurobindo centre

President Pranab Mukherjee stressed the need for a world safe from violence and also a world where one can pursue one’s legitimate dreams. Addressing students of Sri Aurobindo Internat­ional Centre of Education here, he highlighted the importance of Puducherry as a city which hosts an ever-growing number of visitors who come in quest of both peace and knowledge from the spiritual ambience of the place.

Mukherjee said this was the place where Sri Aurobindo had visualised the future of man. He lauded the international character of the centre and the Sri Aurobindo Ashram. This liberality of approach and vision unique to Aurobindo and his ashram stands as a symbol of hope for conflict ridden world and must be protected, he said.

States: 

Pages