Students stage Maha Garjana in Anantapur | Deccan Chronicle
Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Students stage Maha Garjana in Anantapur

DC | 21st Sep 2013

Anantapur/Kurnool: Around 40,000 engineering and pharmacy students gathered in the heart of Kurnool city for a ‘Maha Garjana’ to support the Samaikyandhra agitation on Friday.

The Maha Garjana was organised by private engineering and pharmacy colleges JAC to express the anguish  of students doing professional courses as they depend on Hyderabad for employment.
Engineering and pharmacy students from all parts of the district assembled here to express solidarity with the agitation.

Speaking on the occasion, the students threatened the Centre that they would have to go for mass suicides if the state was bifurcated.

Referring to the existing IT and pharma industries in Hyderabad, the students said that no other city in the state had so many industries to provide employment to thousands of professionals. “We’ve to suffer unemployment if the state is divided,” they said.

The JAC activists continued their stir at Central government offices, banks and railway stations demanding that the Centre roll back its decision on bifurcation.

The activists closed the ticket booking counter for a few hours at the railway station in Kurnool. Aluru mandal witnessed a bandh on Friday affecting traffic between Guntakal and Karnataka.

The Rythu Avedana Sadassu at Kadiri town in Anantapur district saw a gathering of thousands of farmers from 10 mandals. The Electricity JAC led the mega protest  questioning the governments and political parties for not Inviting opinions from the common people and farmers. The leaders said, “political parties are coming for votes, but they are neglecting the consequences of bifurcating the state.”

Farmers pointed out that Anantapur district is still reeling under severe drought due to the improper allocation of water from the Krishna basin. The district would be badly hit in coming days, they said.

Similarly, many gram panchayats of Anantapur district have unanimously passed resolutions demanding that the state be kept united.

A private company employee staged a dreadful protest at the Raghuveer Towers sleeping on a bed full of iron rods like Bheesmachrya in the Mahabharata epic. Police rushed to the spot and arrested the activist. A large number of private school students, electricity employees and women staged a protest with umbrellas in various parts of Anantapur headquarters on Friday.

The JAC activists staged protests at Central government offices against the decision to bifurcate the state.

Pages