United AP stir rocks Anantapur | Deccan Chronicle
Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

United AP stir rocks Anantapur

DC | 14th Sep 2013
Teachers and students of private colleges take out a procession in protest against the Centre’s decision to divide the state, in Anantapur on Friday.	 —DC
Teachers and students of private colleges take out a procession in protest against the Centre’s decision to divide the state, in Anantapur on Friday. —DC

Anantapur: The Samaikyandhra agitation rocked all parts of the region on Friday on the 45th day of the stir.

Normal life was hit in all mandals due to the indefinite strike by APNGOs, teachers and RTC employees and the 72-hour strike by electricity employees. Transportation was badly hit in the region as around 2,500 RTC buses are confined to depots since the last 45 days.

People have to depend on private vehicles and trains to reach their destinations.

The APNGOs laid a siege to all Central government offices and banks in Anantapur, Kurnool and Kadapa districts in protest against the Centre ignoring the agitation in the region.

Samaikyandhra activists ransacked the State Bank of Hyderabad branch at Kurnool for keeping it open. The activists damaged furniture and window panes. Most of the banks and Central government offices were closed after JAC activists laid a siege as per the call given by the NGOs Association to mount pressure on the Centre to reverse its decision on bifurcation.

The same situation prevailed at all mandal headquarters as activists forcibly closed banks and post offices.

Thousands of teachers of private colleges and schools took out a protest rally in Anantapur shouting slogans against bifurcation on Friday.

Opposing the division, many students said they would face serious problems if the state is divided. Ruling out academic problems due to the ongoing agitation, the engineering students of SVIT college said, “Hyderabad is more important than our classes because the capital would give us a strong base for employment in many sectors including IT.”

The advocates JAC will hold a meeting with Seemandhra advocates at the Revenue Bhavan in Anantapur on Saturday.

Anantapur district advocates JAC president K. Viswanath Reddy and Rayalaseema JAC convener V. Gangadhar said the advocates JAC would decide future steps at the meeting.

In Kurnool, the Shirdi Sai devotees of South Shirdi Sai temple organised a satsang at the Telugu Talli statue praying for the state’s unity.

A large number of devotees participated in the satsang dressed in traditional clothes. They also offered pujas at the statue during the protest.

Kurnool district Samaikyandhra women employees wing would stage organise ‘Mahila Udyog Samaikya Bheri’ with employees of all departments, self-help groups and other organisations on Saturday at Kurnool.

All banks and central government offices saw protests by Samaikyandhra activists.

In Kadapa, joint action committee activists staged protests at the collectorate demanding that the centre withdraw the decision to carve out a Telangana state.

A 20-km long mega human chain would be organised on Sunday in Kadapa district, sources said.

Private buses have also stopped plying extending support to the agitation.

Additional joint collector Sudarshan Reddy expressed solidarity with the JAC activists holding protests at the collectorate.

Pages