Mahila Garjana for Samaikyandhra | Deccan Chronicle
Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 | Last Update : 01:01 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Mahila Garjana for Samaikyandhra

DC | 14th Sep 2013
Students of a local women’s college perform at the Mahila Garjana organised by district Samaikyandhra JAC in protest against the proposal of state division, at Swaraj Maidan in Vijayawada on Friday. — DC

Vijayawada: A large number of women with a majority of all government employees and local college students came forward and expressed their protest towards the proposal of state bifurcation by taking part in the Mahila Garjana organised by district Samaikyandhra JAC in support of the on-going movement here on Friday.

A large gathering of women which came from various parts of the district and students from local women’s colleges were asked to take out protests and agitations till the government at the Centre rolls back the decision of state bifurcation.

Speaking on the occasion, Hindu Vahini leader P. Satyavani said that there would be huge loss to the Seemandhra region if the state is divided and women should take the lead to stop the division.

Condemning the UPA which is trying to divide the state, Satyavani said though Indians welcomed Sonia Gandhi warmly since she is the spouse of Rajiv Gandhi, she had chosen to divide Andhra Pradesh. She said women are instrumental in development and people honour them as Matha in our country.

Indian Medical Association, Vijayawada unit secretary, Dr K. Sridevi condemned the national media for projecting the July 30 CWC’s decision on bifurcation as ‘Telangana is born’ though the division of a state needs to go through 12 phases. But the national media is not at all interested in projecting the woes of Seemandhra people. Since the past 45 days people took to the roads in protest of state division.

Dr Sridevi questioned Telangana JAC leader Kodandaram how he could influence the Telangana people and call for a bandh being a professor  when APNGOs decided to hold a meeting at Hyderabad.

She alleged that the UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi is dividing the state for the sake of her son Rahul Gandhi instead of helping the people who respected her all these days. She alleged that the Centre neglected the report given by Sri Krishna Committee, which advised the Centre to keep the state united as the Seemandhra region would face several problems if the state is divided.

JAC women’s wing convener Annapurna Devi said that they would not rest till the proposal is taken back and women in large number would continue to stage protests till all the elected representatives resign their posts to stop bifurcation of the state.

ICDS officer P. Manoranjani, former mayors Mallika Begum and T. Sakuntla, Jana Siksha Samsthan director Dr N. Vidyakanna, JAC convener A. Vidya Sagar, Students JAC convenor D. Avinash, principals of various colleges, management consultant M.C. Das and representatives of various associations were present.

Pages