Unified state stir unabated in Rajahmundry | Deccan Chronicle
Friday, Jul 25, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Unified state stir unabated in Rajahmundry

DC | 08th Sep 2013
Municipal corporation school students take out a rally carrying tricolour as part of Samaikyandhra stir in Rajahmundry on Saturday.— DC

RajahmundryThe ongoing stir for Samaikyandhra is being carried out with renewed vigour with more sections of the people joining it and extending support until they realise that the state remains united, at several parts in Godavari districts on Saturday.

In Rajahmundry, YSR Congress supporters cleaned the roads at Kotagummam Centre to express their protest on the proposed division of the state. Relay hunger strike camps taken up by lawyers, students of Adikavi Nannaya University, civic employees, R and B employees, members of non-political JAC and YSR Congress supporters, are being continued at several places in the city.

At Amalapuram, Telugu Desam supporters led by former ministers Dr Metla Satyanarayana and Gollapalli Surya Rao felt the need to keep the state united. The supporters took out a rally carrying the torches at Clock Tower centre.

Several Muslim associations with Muslims joint action committee from Ravulapalem, Kothapeta, Ambajipeta, Allavaram, Mummidivaram and from other places took out a massive bike rally led by senior advocate Md. Ajam to Amalapuram town. Later, they formed a human chain at Clock Tower centre and raised slogans for  Samaikyandhra.

At Ainavilli, people belonging to Salivahana community staged a novel protest by travelling in tractors while preparing the pots with mud in a rally to extend their support for the stir.

At Bhimavaram, students gave a presentation depicting how the state capital Hyderabad was developed by the people from Seemandhra region and were critical over the claims of Telangana people on it.

Engineering students pulled rickshaws raising slogans for Samaikyandhra. Women students pursuing engineering courses expressed their protest by writing Samaikyandhra on the pots. The supporters of Samaikyandhra gathered at Prakasam Chowk and danced to the drum beats.

At Eluru, students from municipal corporation high school, Gandhi Nagar took out a rally and formed a human chain at old bus stand. Girls bent on their kneels and raised slogans.

Protests, a costly affair

Rajahmundry: With the Samaikyandhra stir going strong even after a month, the maintenance of camps such as relay and indefinite fast, the protest camps, dharnas and organisation of rallies and other such activities is said to have turned out to be a costly affair and with the longitivity of the situation.

It is said that to run each of the activities with a minimum amount of Rs 5,000 to Rs 10.000 plus is required for a single day. According to the organisers this amount is being spent on shamiyanas, furniture like tables, benches, chairs, power or battery connection, public address system, pedestal fans and for allied needs in addition to food, refreshments, provision of drinking water and other amenities.
The expenditure varies from place to place and from rural to urban,  it is said.

The employees, students and teachers JACs have been organising these activities across the district in towns and villages with active participation of rural folk and farming community, artistes, daily wage-earners and others. The political leaders at the state level, it is learnt, even expressed surprise over the conduct of the agitation in a disciplined way without any leadership to lead at the state level.

The leader of a major political party from Rajahmundry who doesn’t want to be quoted has said that he had to spend more than Rs 60,000 from his pocket in the last one month for this purpose in Rajahmundry city alone. He also quoted that the organisers have been making separate arrangements for women, which incurs extra expenditure.

The YSR Congress senior leader, former MLA and East Godavari DCCB chairperson Varupula Subba Rao said on Saturday that the participants in the movement have been contributing from their own pockets in addition to local leaders at the village and mandal level. People from different walks of like are coming forward to contribute for Samaikyandhra stir voluntarily, he said.

When contacted, the DCC East Godavari unit president Dommeti Venkateswarulu observed that as this is a people’s movement spread to all sections, including farming community, the expenditure is being shared by the participants with their own contributions. The political parties have not been extending support for this purpose, he said.

Pages