Heavy turnout for Simha Garjana in Nellore | Deccan Chronicle
Tuesday, Sep 02, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Heavy turnout for Simha Garjana in Nellore

DC | 06th Sep 2013
A.C. Subba Reddy Stadium is full of crowds with people from all corners of the district reaching there for Laksha Gala Ghosha in Nellore on Thursday.	— DC
A.C. Subba Reddy Stadium is full of crowds with people from all corners of the district reaching there for Laksha Gala Ghosha in Nellore on Thursday. — DC

Nellore: Samaikyandhra Simha Garjana rally held here on Thursday had paralysed the city as thousands of students, NGOs, farmers and general public from all corners of the district bee-lined to the city to take part in the event on Thursday.

It is the first mega event organised by Samaikya Rashtra Parirakshana Vedika during the ongoing agitation against the proposal to divide the state. The city reverberated with slogans in favour of state unity and all the arterial roads were full to their brim with people heading towards A.C. Subba Reddy sports stadium, the venue for the Simha Garjana.

Every inch of the space in the vast stadium was occupied by the turnout and there was sizeable presence of women too among the gathering. A senior police officer said that more than 1.25 lakh people have attended the programme.

Notwithstanding the scorching heat, the crowd actively raised slogans and some young girls even danced for patriotic numbers encouraged by the singers of some local orchestra groups. What surprised everyone was the voluntary turnout of people without support from any political leader or party to mobilise the crowds.

In fact all roads in Nellore led to AC Subba Reddy stadium between 8 am and 12 noon and everyone coming from outside walked anywhere between 5 km to 8 km to reach the venue as police prevented entry of vehicles to avoid any inconvenience to pedestrians heading to the stadium.

While students from private educational institutes such as Narayana, Jagan’s and Brahmaiah colleges came in large numbers, students of some institutes and schools owing allegiance to a local Congress legislator were conspicuously absent allegedly at the instance of the MLA.

Cultural programmes and parodies for popular songs rendered by orchestra groups entertained the gathering. Employees, woman, students and even some elderly persons were seen dancing to the catchy tunes notwithstanding the humid conditions.

District officers’ association and NGOs’ association have thanked the public for making the programme a big success. They have also thanked the chamber of commerce, students, teachers and managements of educational institutes for extending their support for the programme.

Pages