Students ransack Selaiyur varsity | Deccan Chronicle
Wednesday, Oct 22, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Students ransack Selaiyur varsity

DC | 03rd Sep 2013
A section of Bharat University students who staged agitation against the management were seen discussing their future course of action at the campus on Monday. 	— DC
A section of Bharat University students who staged agitation against the management were seen discussing their future course of action at the campus on Monday. — DC

Chennai: Over 300 students of the Bharat deemed university, Selaiyur went on a rampage damaging classrooms and laboratories in their institution on Monday alleging that the administration had deliberately failed them in the recent semester exam.

Over 70 per cent of the students were deemed to have failed in the results that were announced last week for the exams held last month. Shell shocked students assembled inside the university campus on Monday morning to protest against the management in the belief that the college administration had been vindictive “We wanted to meet management representatives and ask them to withdraw the results as we don’t believe it, but administrators were not prepared to heed our request. So we decided to teach them a lesson”, one of the students who took part in the protest said.

The agitated students dama­ged classrooms, windows, computers, laboratories and college vehicles. The college management informed Selaiyur police, who immediately swung into action to pacify students but the youngsters refused to move out of the college. 

Students attack media men, cops

Following students protest and rampage at Bharat deemed university in Selaiyur, the university administration has decided to shut the institution till September 9 and reopen on September 10.

Police sources said the agitated students did not heed their demand to stop their protest and disperse from the university campus. “As students did not move out of the campus and with no other option left, the university administration preferred to declare holiday till September 9 and reopen on September 10”, sources said.

Police personnel are seen dispersing students from Bharat University following protest on Monday. —DC

Meanwhile a section of students attacked policemen, reporters and photographers, who were at the spot to cover their protest. Irked by the attack, police officials went to rescue media personnel.
By 2 pm students went on a full scale rampage damaging cars, two-wheelers and buses parked inside the campus, besides breaking glass windows, computers and laboratory equipment.

Traffic got disrupted for some time as a couple of students squatted on the main road affecting vehicular movement. Students said they would continue to protest until the administration withdrew the results and re-evaluated their answer scripts. Bharat university administrators were not available for comment.

States: 

Pages