Protesters take a plunge against state bifurcation | Deccan Chronicle
Friday, Oct 24, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Protesters take a plunge against state bifurcation

DC | 27th Aug 2013
Students perform pujas during their Jaladeeksha seeking divine help to stop the proposed bifurcation of the state, at Krishna river in Vijayawada on Monday. -DC

Vijayawada: The Samaikyandhra movement is gaining intensity in the city day by day, with students and employees staging protests against the proposed bifurcation of the state.

The protests continued on Monday, the 26th consecutive day, with a high intensity ‘Jaladeeksha’ agitation by students in the Krishna river.

Hundreds of students led by Samaikyandhra Students’ JAC stage a novel protest by getting down in the river at Pushkar Ghat at the Kanakadurga temple. The students raised pro-Samaikyandhra slogans and performed pujas to the temple’s presiding deity seeking unity of the state.

Students JAC convener D. Avinash said that there was no question of withdrawing the agitation until the Congress makes an announcement in favour of Samaikyandhra.

He said no government has the right to divide a state without considering the opinion of the people.

“The students have until now protested peacefully, but if the government fails to respond to the movement in future, the agitations would take an even more intense turn in the districts of Seemandhra. The Congress would have to face the heat of students if it does not roll back its decision”, Avinash said.

He said that a students’ meeting, to be attended by one lakh students, would be held on Bunder Road on August 28 in support of the Samaikyandhra movement.

Meanwhile, about a 1,000 members of Cooperative Employees JAC took out a rally on Bunder Road, extending support to the movement.

Cooperative Bank chairman P. Venkateswara Rao, Markfed chairman K. Rama Rao, Gandhi Cooperative Bank chairman V. Basavakumtumba Rao, Durga Cooperative Bank chairman T. Kanaka Vijaya Kumar, secretary K. Srinivasa Rao and others took part in the rally.

Hundreds of students led by Telugu Yuvatha, staged a rasta roko at the Ring Road and played cricket on the road in protest against the proposal to divide the state.

Stir hits municipal services

Vijayawada: Though people’s frustration over civic services getting affected due to the Samaikyandhra movement is building, they are suffering in silence.

The municipal employees launched their agitation against state bifurcation, going on an indefinite strike from August 13. However, emergency services were exempted from the strike.

In reality, the municipal staff is not attending the emergency services like repairing streetlights etc. Complaints about non-functional streetlights are mounting.

Additionally, a number of city roads have developed potholes due to the recent rain fall, but these are not being repaired.

Citizens visiting the VMC office seeking solution to their grievances have failed to get redressal due to absence of staff.

Besides, the ongoing stir has put the VMC on the brink of a financial crisis due to fall in tax collection.

Pages