Students out on the streets | Deccan Chronicle
Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 | Last Update : 01:01 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Students out on the streets

DC | 25th Aug 2013
NGOs and students prepare to release black balloons in protest against the Centre’s decision to bifurcate AP, in Vijayawada on Saturday. 	—DC
NGOs and students prepare to release black balloons in protest against the Centre’s decision to bifurcate AP, in Vijayawada on Saturday. —DC

Vijayawada: The agitations for preserving the unity of the state continued on Saturday, 25 days after the Centre announced its decision to divide the state, with a large number of students taking to the roads, extending their support to Samaikyandhra movement in Vijayawada as well as other parts of the districts.

Students of various schools, intermediate, degree and engineering colleges took out rallies demanding the state remain undivided. Samaikyandhra Engineering Students JAC formed a human chain at Bundar Road and raised slogans demanding Congress not to divide AP.

Addressing the students, JAC leader Anji Reddy said, “Students would be the first ones to be affected if the state is divided. Many universities and institutions had come up in Hyderabad only because it is the state capital. If Hyderabad is limited to Telangana region, what would be the future of students from 13 Seemandhra districts?”

Reddy said that though thousands of students from Telangana joined educational institutes in Seemandhra during separate Telangana movement in the past, the people here welcomed them.
Meanwhile, the relay hunger strike launched by the students of VR Siddartha Engineering College continued on the 13th day, with girl students taking part.

TD leader V. Ramaiah visited the camp and extended support to the students. Students of Atkinson High School took out a rally and staged a protest at BRP Road in I-Town while students of Mother Teresa Public School and Navodaya Public School also staged protests demanding unity.

Students of Krishnaveni School, Triveni Degree College and other institutions, led by APNGOs, released thousands of black balloons protesting the proposed bifurcation of the state at Patamata.

Elsewhere, engineering students led by YSR Congress leader P. Gautham Reddy took out a rally at BRTS road and formed a human chain extending their support to the movement.
At Nandigama, Educational Institutions JAC and Samaikyandhra Parirakshana Vedika organised protests. 

Pages