Chorus for Samaikyandhra stir | Deccan Chronicle
Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 | Last Update : 01:01 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Chorus for Samaikyandhra stir

DC | 22nd Aug 2013
Singer Ghazal Srinivas renders songs along with students and supporters of Samaikyandhra at Government Arts College grounds in Rajahmundry on Wednesday.   	— DC
Singer Ghazal Srinivas renders songs along with students and supporters of Samaikyandhra at Government Arts College grounds in Rajahmundry on Wednesday. — DC

Rajahmundry: In a bid to give fillip to the on-going agitation for Samaikyandhra, a large number of students from several schools and colleges along with political leaders, activists, government employees, lawyers and a cross section of the people rendered the Telugu song “Ma Telugu Talliki Malle Pudanda’ in unison at Government Arts College grounds here on Wednesday.

Students from various educational institutions arrived to the college grounds and extended their solidarity to the ongoing stir opposing the proposed bifurcation of the  state to set up a separate Telangana. Singer Ghazal Srinivas enthused the protagonists by rendering songs. His popular number ‘Yetlagithadhi Bidda Hyderabad Nee Adda’ received widespread applause.

Local MLA Routhu Suryaprakasa Rao, MLC Adireddy Appa Rao, former MLC Kandula Durgesh and several others danced to the tunes when they were prodded by Srinivas while students and other supporters who stood in the shape of Andhra Pradesh waved the flags having imprint of the state map and cheered Srinivas.

Speaking on the occasion, Ghazal Srinivas said, “The proposed bifurcation of the state is causing heartburn to crores of people from coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions. I appreciate the younger generation who are taking part in the stir to contribute their share  to keep the state united. The ongoing stir has originated from the emotional outburst of the people and all allegations that some capitalists are sponsoring the movement is false.”

He called upon the people to respond by saying that if anybody claims that Hyderabad is their father’s property, he asked them to claim that it was their grandfather’s property, in a lighter vein.  The students presented a skit to drive home the message that TRS president K. Chandrasekhar Rao was taking up the movement for separate Telangana for self-gain.

Later, the students and protagonists of Samaikyandhra formed a human chain on NH- 16 at Lalacheruvu. On the other hand, people belonging to several political parties, educational institutions, Chamber of Commerce and NGOs, advocates, civic employees are carrying out relay hunger strikes at several places in the city expressing their solidarity with the ongoing  stir.

Pages