More join hunger strike in Anantapur | Deccan Chronicle
Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

More join hunger strike in Anantapur

DC | 20th Aug 2013
Agitators from various organisations and parties take out protests near Tower Clock in Anantapur on Monday demanding that the Centre keep the state united. RIGHT: Members of APNGOs take out a massive rally in Anantapur in support of Samaikyandhra.

Anantapur: Fast-unto-death protests rocked Rayalaseema on Monday demanding that the Centre reverse its decision to divide the state.

YSR Congress MLA G. Sreekanth Reddy of Rayachoti and former Kadapa mayor P. Ravindranath Reddy continued their fasts-unto-death at the RIMS hospital in Kadapa since Sunday night.

The two leaders launched a hunger stir at the Kadapa collectorate four days ago and police arrested and shifted them to RIMS on Sunday night. Refusing medical aid, the two leaders are continuing the fast, RIMS sources said.

Meanwhile, the fast-unto-death of Railway Kodur MLAs K. Sreenivasulu and Rajampeta MLA A. Amaranath Reddy at Railway Kodur and Rajampet entered the fourth day on Monday. They were protesting the decision to carve out a Telangana state without taking into consideration the objections in the Rayalaseema region.

Similarly, YSRC leader Y.S. Avinash Reddy launched an indefinite fast at the Kadapa collectorate on Monday protesting against the arrest of leaders from the hunger stir camp.

In Anantapur, Telugu Desam MLA Palle Raghunath Reddy launched a fast-unto-death at Puttaparthi protesting against the decision of the Congress to divide the state. Tension prevailed in the town for sometime when the police asked the organisers to change the venue of the camp. However, the MLA continued the hunger strike demanding that the Centre keep the state united.

Speaking on the occasion, Raghunath Reddy warned that all the regions would be affected badly in case of bifurcation.

Rayadurg MLA Kapu Ramachandra Reddy’s wife K. Bharathi of the YSR Congress launched a fast at Rayadurg in Anantapur district extending support to YSRC honorary president Y.S. Vijayalakshmi’s hunger strike at Guntur.

Similarly, former district president Pyla Narasimhaiah launched a fast-unto-death at Tadipatri. MLC S.V. Mohan Reddy of YSRC participated in a fast at the Sri Krishnadevaraya statue on the outskirts of Kurnool town expressing solidarity with Vijayalakshmi.

Gazetted officers go on one-day mass leave

Members of AP Gazetted Officers Association participate in a relay hunger strike at tahsildar office in Anantapur on Monday protesting against the decision to divide the state. -DC

Anantapur: The Samikayndhra agitation continued for the 20th consecutive day in the region. Business establishments and government offices remained closed due to the indefinite strike by APNGOs and RTC employees.

In Anantapur, work stopped at all government offices including the collectorate on Monday after the AP Gazetted Officers Association went on a one-day mass leave extending support to the agitation by the APNGO Association. The Gazetted Officers Association participated in a relay fast at the tahsildar office here demanding that the Centre rollback its decision to carve out a Telangana state.

The Tower Clock centre witnessed protests by various associations and parties. Police directed the protesters to maintain a minimum distance to avoid untoward incidents. The APNGO Association also organised a protest at the Telugu Talli statue.

APTransco officials took out a blindfold rally at Sapthagiri Circle. The private tourist bus association organised a huge procession of buses in Anantapur town demanding that the state be kept united. YSR Congress activists took out a torch rally in the Tower Clock area.

RTC buses were confined to depots. Thousands of devotees from Karnataka searched for an alternative to reach Mantralayam to take part in the 342nd Aradhana celebrations of Guru Raghavendra Swamy at Mantralayam in Kurnool district.

Normally, KSRTC operates around 100 buses from various parts of Karnataka to Mantralayam. But all the buses were cancelled due to the agitation. In Kadapa, agitators blocked private buses from operating during the night.

Staff stir stalls Eamcet counselling

Students wait outside the Government Polytechnic College in Anantapur as Eamcet counselling was stopped with lecturers boycotting duties protesting the decision to carve out a Telangana state. — DC

Anantapur: Eamcet counselling was stopped at many centres in the region as polytechnic college lecturers boycotted the process on Monday expressing solidarity with the indefinite strike by APNGOs, protesting against the decision to bifurcate the state.

Polytechnic colleges and universities have been entrusted with the job of conducting Eamcet counselling from August 19. Counselling was scheduled for students who had secured ranks from 1-15,000 on the first day.

However, polytechnic college lecturers who have been extending solidarity with the agitation and the indefinite strike by APNGOs and APSRTC employees boycotted the event. The students were forced to return after the process was postponed at the Government Polytechnic College in Anantapur.

Sri Krishnadevaraya University officials have been entrusted with the counselling, but the offices were closed protesting against the decision to carve out Telangana.

Lecturers boycotted counselling at the Pullareddy College in Kurnool and the Government Polytechnic College at Nandyal. Only 19 students attended the counselling at Rayalaseema University at Kurnool before protesters disrupted the process. Counselling was not held at Kadapa following protests.

Students and parents who arrived at counselling centres with much difficulty due to the absence of RTC and private buses were disappointed. RTC buses were confined to depots for the 20th consecutive day.

Authorities assured the students that counselling would be conducted at a later date. The Samaikyandhra agitations led to the stalling of the entire process in Chittoor district. 

Hundreds of students arrived at respective colleges to attend the counselling, but were a worried lot to see the closed gates. as employees of SV Government Polytechnic College in Tirupati have been on an indefinite strike. As such, the counselling process did not commence. 

Pages