Teachers to stir the pot | Deccan Chronicle
Wednesday, Oct 01, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Teachers to stir the pot

DC | 19th Aug 2013
Samaikyandhra Upadyaya Porata Samiti members signal their agreement launch an indefinite strike from August 22 in support of the Samaikyandhra movement by raising their hands in Vijayawada on Sunday. — DC

Vijayawada: The Samaikyandhra Upadyaya Porata Samiti (SUPS) that was formed here on Sunday, decided to launch an indefinite flash strike from August 21 midnight in support of the ongoing Samaikyandhra movement.

Emerging from a day-long marathon discussion with all the teachers’ JAC conveners of 13 Seemandhra districts and various teachers’ association leaders, SUPS convener M. Kamalakar Rao said that all government teachers of municipal, zilla parishad and other schools will boycott work indefinitely from August 22 and thus extend support to the APNGOs’ demand that the decision to divide AP be rolled back.

Kamalakar told the media that the union would serve a strike notice to the principle education secretary on Monday in Hyderabad.

Over 2,50,000 teachers from Seemandhra would take part in the strike and stage protests against state division, he said.

Kamalakar demanded the state government postpone Eamcet counselling scheduled for August 19 so that students are not inconvenienced.

“All polytechnic teachers who have to attend the Eamcet counselling procedure will boycott their duties. Teachers, along with the help of APNGOs and Students JAC personnel, will lay siege to the Eamcet counselling centres in private colleges and obstruct the procedure if the government goes ahead with the counselling,” he added.

He promised that the teachers would protest peacefully by staging relay hunger strikes and rallies at the mandal, division and district levels.

Sonia’s political naivety led to decision: Parvati

Vijayawada: Samaikyandhra Rastra Samiti politburo member N. Lakshmi Parvati said on Sunday that the decision to divide the state proved the lack of political knowledge of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi.

Addressing a press conference here, Parvati said that Sonia took the decision to divide the state as she had no political knowledge and the UPA would never come to power in the future as a result of this decision.

Parvati alleged that Telugu Desam, which was named after Telugus by its founder N.T. Rama Rao, and the state, are now being split in two due to “foul play by TD chief N. Chandrababu Naidu”.

She said the state now needs a leader like NTR who could solve all the problems and keep the state united.

IMA protests for unity

Vijayawada: Indian Medical Association, Indian Dental Association and other healthcare associations here on Sunday launched an indefinite relay hunger strike in support of Samaikyandhra.

IMA city unit president P.V. Ramana Murthy said that there would be an immense loss to the field of medicine if the state was bifurcated. “As many medical colleges and institutions like NIMS, Gandhi and Osmania medical colleges, National Institution of Nutrition and M&J Cancer Institute are present in and around Hyderabad, there would be no access to medical aspirants from Seemandhra like it is now,” he said.

All India Physicians Association district president K. Rama Krishna said that 85 per cent of super specialty course seats were allotted to colleges in Telangana and Seemandhra students may not be able to pursue important PG courses like cardiology.

Meanwhile, Krishna district veterinary doctors will strike duties from Monday in support of the Samaikyandhra movement.

The association served a strike notice to deputy director of the animal husbandry department.

Fourth-class employees are already on strike and the gazetted officers would join it from Monday. As a result, all veterinary hospitals in the district are expected to remain closed indefinitely.

Confusion prevails over Engineering counselling

Vijayawada: With the polytechnic colleges’ staff deciding to boycott Eamcet counselling duty from Monday, confusion over certificate verification and option exercising process has been heightened, especially as the government is firm that the counselling would be held as per schedule.

Managements of private colleges are likely to stop the counselling if the Samaikyandhra protagonists build pressure.

The teachers’ unions believe that the movement would be diluted if the counselling is allowed to go ahead and sources say that the union leaders plan to obstruct the process at any cost.

Sources say that the government plans to rope in private workers for the counselling duty in place of government teachers.

However, students apprehend that they would suffer in the longer run if the responsibility is handed over to untrained persons.

Pages