MP sweeps roads for united state | Deccan Chronicle
Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

MP sweeps roads for united state

DC | 18th Aug 2013

Rajahmundry: In a bid to mount pressure on the Congress leadership to withdraw its proposal to bifurcate the state to set up a separate Telangana, several sections of people, including activists of political parties, students and others are carrying out relay hunger strike for several days as part on the ongoing Samaikyandhra stir in Godavari districts.

In every corner of a centre in both the urban and rural areas in both the districts, the protagonists of united Andhra pitched tents and are taking part in the relay hunger strike voluntarily while other supporters are carrying out a series of protest marches and demonstrations with the sole aim that the state should remain united.

In Rajahmundry, YSRC leaders Polu Kiranmohan Reddy and Gurram Gowtham are on a hunger strike for the fourth consecutive day near Gokavaram bus stand. Non-gazetted officers staged dharna at RDO office and swept the roads.

Amalapuram MP G.V. Harsha Kumar joined the NGOs and swept the roads as a token gesture of protest. The MP visited the agitating NGOs, civic employees and traders at their tents and expressed his support to them. Speaking on the occasion, he said that it was for the first time, the employees were taking part in the stir for a common cause and wished that the Congress Working Committee would withdraw its decision on bifurcation of the state.

Adikavi Nannaya University non-teaching staff have also taken up relay hunger strike. Rajahmundry undergraduate colleges association president T.K. Visweswara Reddy announced that they were going to organise mass rendition of songs for united state at Government Arts College on August 21 involving students from 70 schools and 33 colleges in the city.

At Amalapuram, Kirana Merchants Association members have taken up relay hunger strike at Clock Tower Centre and factory workers and employees visited the camp and extended their support. LIC Agency Association members took out a bike rally and formed a human chain to extend their support for the ongoing stir.

At Tuni, Visalandhra Mahasabha member Chakravarthi castigated the political parties for not having true commitment on the issue and demanded the leaders to quit their posts and join the stir. He said that if the ministers and legislators both at the Centre and in  the state quit their posts, the Congress government at both the places would fall into minority and it would be difficult for it to go ahead to execute its proposal to bifurcate the state. He appealed to the agitators to take up agitations in a peaceful manner.

At Eluru, managements of private schools carried out a rally with their school buses while students staged rasta roko at Fire Station Centre. Employees of various departments are carrying out relay hunger strike at their offices. Telugu Desam is planning to organise relay hunger strike from Sunday onwards and its district president Thota Seetarama Lakshmi will be taking part in the stir on the first day. Civic employees carried out huge rally with vehicles and formed human chain at Fire Station Centre.

At Kovvur, town lorry owners association carried out a rally with lorries and the owners resolved to fight for united state. At Narasapur, local MLA Kothapalli Subbarayudu visited the MRPS leaders who were staging relay hunger strike and extended his support to them. Employees from revenue and sub-treasury departments carried out a rally.

Pages