Samaikya stir shuts Seema | Deccan Chronicle
Friday, Oct 24, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Samaikya stir shuts Seema

DC | 15th Aug 2013
Samaikyandhra activists take out a massive rally on the main road of Kurnool on Wednesday against the division of state.	  — DC
Samaikyandhra activists take out a massive rally on the main road of Kurnool on Wednesday against the division of state. — DC

Anantapur: The Samaikyandhra agitation reached its 15th consecutive day paralysing all services after NGOs and employees of government organisations came on to the roads on Wednesday.

Government services were crippled after the NGOs and RTC employees staged protests at their offices and depots.

Nearly, 2500 buses of the Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) remained off the roads. Even private operators confined buses to garages in Anantapur, Kurnool and Kadapa districts. 

Though, the police tried to run private buses with security the operators refused to ply.

Over 1.5 lakh employees have gone on strike and they are demanding the resignations of all elected representatives to mount pressure on the Centre.

Normal life came to a standstill with educational institutions, shops and business establishments remaining shut in the three districts.

The students’ JAC called a bandh till August 18 and also threatened private colleges and schools with dire consequences if they dared to open.

Protests by political activists, students, lawyers, employees, workers, women and other sections of society continued for the 15th day in a row.

The protesters burnt the effigies of Sonia Gandhi, Digvijay Singh and K. Chandrasekhar Rao.

Rayalaseema JAC convener G. Nagaraju, speaking in front of the ZP office in Anantapur, said the elected representatives were trying to escape from the activists to avoid resigning from their posts.

“We’ll attack the houses of the representatives if they fail to quit,” he said.

Students from the Sri Krishnadevarya University lodged a complaint against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the Bathalapalli police station saying that he was missing.

The JAC leaders alleged that the PM was not even in a position to speak over the burning Seemandhra region.

Reports said that activists of the NGO Association ransacked many offices when they were opened at Kadapa. They also closed offices forcibly.

Students of private institutions took out a mass protest rally accompanied by bands at Kurnool demanding that the state be kept united.

YSRC leaders on ‘fast’ mode

YSRC MLAs and other representatives are determined to prove their existence in the region through fast unto deaths.

Already Rajampeta MLA Sreekanth Reddy and former Kadapa mayor P. Ravindranath Reddy are on hunger stir at the Kadapa collectorate since two days demanding that the Centre should withdraw the decision to bifurcate the state.

However, YSRC honorary president Y.S. Vijayalakshmi has decided to stage a hunger stir from August 19 at Vijayawada against the unilateral decision of the Congress.

This would be the first protest by a leading political figure apart from the rallies staged by Seemandhra employees against the bifurcation. YSRC MLA Korumutla Sreenivasulu of Railway Kodur will stage a fast unto death from Thursday at Railway Kodur.

Sreenivasulu told  media that the Congress and TD were playing the blame game to tarnish the image of YSRC president Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy.

“I will go on fast till the Centre reverses the decision on bifurcation,” he said.

A large number of YSRC cadre and NGO Association leaders expressed their solidarity with Rajampeta MLA Sreekanth Reddy and former mayor Ravindranath Reddy.

Next: All-round support to Samaikyandhra

Pages

• 1
  • 2
Next