Protesters lay siege to MLAs houses in Anantapur | Deccan Chronicle
Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 | Last Update : 01:01 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Protesters lay siege to MLAs houses in Anantapur

DC | 07th Aug 2013
A Samaikyandhra activist displays his bodypaint showing undivided Andhra Pradesh at a protest in Kodumur of Kurnool district on Tuesday. - DC

Anantapur: The week-long protests by Samaikyandhra activists continued on Tuesday across the Rayalaseema region after NGOs laid siege on residences of several representatives including YSR Congress party honorary president and MLA Y.S. Vijyalakshmi at Pulivendula in Kadapa district.

Samaikyandhra protesters staged a protest at Y.S. Vijaymma's residence demanding her resignation and asking her to support the agitation to mount pressure on the Centre to keep the state united.

Similarly, activists of Samaikyandhra also laid siege on the residence of endowments minister C. Ramachandriah demanding the same.

Protesters belonging to different organisations, supporting united Andhra Pradesh, took out huge rallies and resorted to road blockades at several places in Anantapur, Kadapa and Kurnool districts.

In Anantapur, the activists stopped a passenger train at the station here and shouted slogans against Congress chief Sonia Gandhi. Motorcycle rallies by activists were witnessed in many parts of the district.

Advocates of Joint Action Committee cooked food on the road in front of the district court in Anantapur. Similar protests were held at Kurnool and Kadapa districts where massive rallies and roadblocks were held demanding the state remain united.

Washermen took out procession with the donkeys while  Naibrahmis association  burned and performed last rites on effigies of Sonia Gandhi and Telangana Rashtra Samithi president K. Chandrasekhar Rao at Sapthagiri Circle.

However, no untoward incident was reported in the Rayalaseema region with police and central forces taking enough measures.

Similarly, the protesters cooked food on roads besides taking out a massive rally involving heavy vehicles, tractors and autorickshaws was held in many places.

Large number of farmers launched padayatra from Rajupalem village to Proddutur in Kadapa district opposing the division of state and raised slogans against the Congress president Sonia Gandhi and TRS chief K. Chandrasekhar Rao.

Four Circle Road at Kadapa was jammed with the thousands of women joined in the agitation by shouting slogans against the bifurcation of state.

Meanwhile, Telugu Desam women  sent 'bangles and kumkum' to  MPs for not protesting in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha on Tuesday and alleging that Congress MPs feared their party chief Sonia Gandhi would initiate disciplinary action against them for not obeying her decision.

Leaders’ baseless statements anger pro-united agitators

Members of petroleum dealers association take out a huge rally against the bifurcation of state in Anantapur on Tuesday. -DC

AnantapurEven as the common public from the Rayalaseema region were sticking on their demand against the bifurcation of state, the baseless and different statements by the top leaders irking the agitators.

The activists were not even allowing the ministers, MLAs and MPs at the venues in the region where they are staging protests demanding to reverse the decision on the Telangana state.

The different opinions and agendas by the leaders of ruling and opposition parties were allegedly forcing the ‘genuine activists’ belonging to various sections including the teachers, NGOs and other organisations to prevent the leaders at many parts.

In Kadapa, minority minister Ahmadullah had to face embarrassing situation where the agitators threw slippers on him though he went to express  solidarity with the agitators.
Anantapur MP Ananta Venkatrami Reddy had also faced embarrassing situation at the venue where JACTO, the teachers association staging agitation ever since the Telangana decision announced.

The MP had to return without expressing solidarity to the students and professors who were on hunger fast at the Sri Krishnadevaraya University two days ago.

Similarly, Telugu Desam leaders were also faced same situation. The women teachers had also tried to offer ‘bangles and kumkum’ for the minister Sake Sailajanath at his residence four days ago, but they were prevented by the police few metres away from his residence. The angered teachers were returned by shouting slogans against the minister for not tendering his resignation.

The parties had already started blame game and accused each other for the decision over separation of state instead of sticking on single point agenda to fight against the Congress Working Committee decision, farmers union leader K. Venkatrami Reddy from Hindupur lamented.

Fresh proposal by the Kurnool leaders have also confusing the activists after they proposed for alternate decision to form separate Rayalaseema state.

Minister of state for railways Kotla Jayasuryaprakash Reddy along with MLAs from Kurnool district met UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday and submitted a representation to reverse the decision.

But they also proposed to announce the Greater Rayalaseema by merging Nellore and Ongole districts along with four existing districts, if division is inevitable.

However, Anantapur MP Ananta Venkatrami Reddy, who had tendered his resignation and not taking part in Lok Sabha session, had opined, “resignation of Seemandhra ministers could only mount pressure on the high command to reconsider its decision to keep the state united.” He stood on single point demand of united state.

Meanwhile, the Telugu Desam representatives had also no clear stand as their party chief was keeping quite over the agitation in the Seemandhra and also in Hyderabad.

The MLAs were demanding justice for the region as the Congress decision was not clear. However, the APNGOs and other employees wanted to launch protest on single point agenda without any other alternate options.

Division claims two more lives

Arts college lecturers sweeping at Subhash Road in Anantapur on Tuesday in protest against division of state. — DC

AnantapurB. Mahesh, 15, a student committed suicide by hanging himself at his residence in Kalyandurg in the district in protest against the decision to divide the state on Tuesday.

According to family members, Mahesh had also participated in the agitation for the last few days. Desperate over the bifurcation of state, Mahesh committed suicide by hanging himself to roof. Samaikyandhra protesters expressed their concern over the death of student.

According to reports, Lakshminarayana, 40, died of cardiac arrest while watching television over the consequences of division of state at Kalavatila village in Kolimigundla mandal in Kurnool district. YSR Congress leaders and cadres expressed concern to the family members of the deceased.

Similarly, Kullayappa, 40, made suicide bid by consuming pesticide at protest in Tadipatri on Tuesday while shouting slogans against the bifurcation of state. The agitators shifted him to nearby hospital in Tadiapatri and later he was shifted to general hospital in Anantapur after his condition is said to be serious. 

Pages