Top colleges for Telangana students only | Deccan Chronicle
Friday, Apr 18, 2014 | Last Update : 01:01 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Top colleges for Telangana students only

DC | 01st Aug 2013
Picture for representational purposes only.

Hyderabad: After the bifurcation of the state, one major disadvantage for Seemandhra students will be the fact that they will lose access to top colleges located in Hyderabad.

It’s a common practice among toppers to opt for universities and colleges located in and around Hyderabad during counselling in various CETs.

All the top colleges in streams like engineering, medical, management etc. are located in and around Hyderabad.

Toppers in Eamcet and Icet prefer colleges such as the OU engineering colleges, JNTU-Kukatpally in the government sector and private colleges such as CBIT, MGIT, Vasavi, Mathrusri, Sri Nidhi, Gurunanak, Gokaraju Rangaraju, BVRIT, VNR Vignana Jyothi etc., all located in and around Hyderabad, to pursue engineering, management, M. Tech, MCA courses during counselling every year.

Similarly, the medical toppers vie for seats in Osmania Medical College and Gandhi Medical College in the government sector, located in the city and nearly 20 private medical colleges.

After bifurcation, these colleges will be confined to students from T-region in the counselling.

Though Seemandhra students will have the opportunity to seek seats in private colleges under the management quota, they cannot opt for colleges in the government sector since there is no management quota as of now. 

The disadvantage for T-students will be that there is no health university in Telangana region despite it having the highest number of medical/dental colleges. The lone health university is in Vijayawada, which monitors all the medical colleges in AP.

The government would be forced to divide the NTR University of Health Science, Vijayawada, into two or three parts to cater to the needs of students from Seemandhra region.

Pages