Protests against division in Vijayawada | Deccan Chronicle
Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Protests against division in Vijayawada

DC | 31st Jul 2013
Students led by Samaikyandhra Students JAC stage protests in Vijayawada on Tuesday demanding united Andhra Pradesh. 	—DC
Students led by Samaikyandhra Students JAC stage protests in Vijayawada on Tuesday demanding united Andhra Pradesh. —DC

VijayawadaAn uneasy calm prevailed in Vijayawada city, the political capital of the state which stands ahead in Samaikyandhra movement, when the Central government announced the decision to bifurcate the state.

Central forces were positioned at important centres in the city to prevent any violence. However, the city remained peaceful and a majority of the people glued to television sets to know the outcome of Union government on state bifurcation.

Students led by Students JAC took out a rally from Benz Circle to Municipal Stadium and raised slogans in support of Samaikyandhra. Youth Congress leader D. Avinash blamed the TD for bifurcation. He alleged that the letter given by TD chief N. Chandrababu Naidu supporting Telangana state had led to bifurcation.

Police arrested some students when they staged a rasta roko at Ramavarapadu Ring Road after the decision of the UPA government.

Vijayawada West MLA Vellampalli Srinivas also took out a rally in One Town in support of Samaikyandhra. MLA Malladi Vishnu said that the ruling party MLAs and MP would make efforts to prevent bifurcation. He said the Congress leaders would meet at Hyderabad on Friday to chalk out the future course of action.

Former minister and Jai Andhra leader Vasanta Nageswara Rao said that a committee should be formed to finalise the sharing of water and other resources between the two states.
However, there was no response from people over bifurcation. A resident of Suryaraopet, K. Venkateswara Rao, said that nobody objects to Telangana state formation, but Centre should protect the interests of people of Andhra region on sharing of natural resources, he said.

Employees JAC leader A. Vidyasagar said that employees and students would lose heavily with Centre’s decision and blamed the people representatives for the present situation. 

Pages