Protests rock Rayalaseema region | Deccan Chronicle
Tuesday, Sep 30, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Protests rock Rayalaseema region

DC | 31st Jul 2013
MIM activists stage protest at Telugutalli statue in Anantapur on Tuesday against the decision of Centre to form separate Telangana state. -DC

AnantapurProtests rocked the Rayalaseema region in the wake of fast steps towards the formation of a Telangana state after the Congress Working Committee unanimously decided to divide the state.

A large number of activists came on to the roads in various parts of Anantapur, Kurnool and Kadapa districts on Tuesday. Samaikyandhra protestors came down heavily against the Congress high command and UPA for not considering the pleas of the representatives from Seemandhra areas.

Sri  Krishnadevarya University, a centre of the protests and the origin of many movements  witnessed protests on Tuesday also. Students staged rasta roko on the NH between Anantapur-Kadiri road in front of the varsity campus.

The teaching and non-teaching staff of Sri Krishnadevaraya also joined in the protest along with the students. Prof. Sadashiva Reddy said the Centre was dividing the state into pieces even though  people from both the regions do not favour it.

Samaikyandhra students Joint Action Committee performed a Samaikyandhra homam on the NH at the  SK varsity campus. Student JAC threatened dire consequences if the decision to divide the state was not withdrawn.

Activists of Samaikyandhra Parirakshana Samithi took out a procession with an effigy of the Centre and performed shavayatra and last rites on the main roads of Anantapur protesting the decision to create Telangana at the CWC meeting.

Protesting Centre’s move Hindupur MLA Abdul Ghani resigned to his post. MIM activists of Anantapur also staged a protest at the statue here against the decision to split the state.
MIM leaders lamented that the Congress high command had no concern about law and order in Telangana.

Advocates JAC of Samaikyandhra staged a dharna in many areas of the region objecting to the Congress decision to form a Telangana state.

CWC decision jolts Seema leaders

Anantapur: The CWC decision regarding the formation of a Telangana state had a jolt for the leaders of Rayalaseema, who had failed to keep the state united and to get a ‘Greater Rayalaseema’.

Rayalaseema Hakkula Ikya Vedika founder and minor irrigation minister T.G.  Venkatesh, had stood for a united state since the agitation emerged. But, he had taken a U-turn a few days before the Congress Working Committee meeting on the bifurcation of the state.

It may be recalled that Rayalaseema region had sacrificed the state capital of Kurnool during the formation of the united state, but have to wait for the third state capital if 10 districts of Telangana state is formed with capital as Hyderabad, Samaikyandhra Joint Action Committee Rayalaseema convener G. Nagaraju lamented.

Rayalaseema Parirakshana Samithi founder Byreddy Rajasekhar Reddy had reiterated the demand for a separate Rayalaseema to avoid unnecessary disturbances from other regions.
Referring to the previous state capital of Kurnool, Byreddy  said Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, Telugu Desam supremo N. Chandrababu Naidu and YSR Congress honorary president Y.S. Vijayamma were responsible for the bifurcation of the state.

“Rayalaseema has to depend on the decisions of the coastal region if the state division occurs,” he lamented. Rayalaseema representatives are likely to launch a stir after a meeting in a day or two.

Already YSR Congress MLAs have faxed their resignations in clear speaker format. Congress and Telugu Desam party MLA and MPs are staging a protest.

Senior Congressman Tadipathri MLA J.C. Diwakar Reddy blamed leaders from Seemandhra for their failure to resist the decision to divide the state. It may be recalled, Diwakar Reddy had favored Rayala Telangana if the state was divided.

Reddy said future action would be chalked out during a meeting with leaders of Seemandhra.

Telugu Desam MLA P. Kesav of Uravakonda demanded that the recommendations of the Sri Krishna committee should be considered, which was kept aside by the Centre.

Rayalaseema will have to face a water crisis after the state division as water allocation was made during the formation of Visalandhra state. Tungabhadra and part of Krishna water are the only source for Rayalaseema.

Tungabadhra is in the Bellary district of Karnataka and a major portion of the Krishna river flows through Telangana except backwaters from the Srisailam reservoir and a few pockets under Srisailam.

Pages