Fisheries students look to hook jobs | Deccan Chronicle
Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

Fisheries students look to hook jobs

DC | P.V. Krishna Rao | 18th Jun 2013
The fisheries polytechnic college building.

Vijayawada: The students of the fisheries polytechnic college, the first of its kind in the country, are expressing concern over lack of job opportunities in the government sector.

The fisheries polytechnic college was set up in 2007 at Bhavadevarapalli village of Nagayalanka mandal in Krishna district and offers a two-year diploma course in fisheries after Class X.
Over 150 students have completed the diploma course after six months of field work.

Though they are getting employment opportunities in the private sector, these students have failed to get jobs in the government sector and denied higher learning opportunities. When Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy inaugurated the college building recently, the student had urged him to enhance the number of seats and provide employment opportunities in the fisheries department.

Speaking to this newspaper, Ashok, a student, said that the government should provide job opportunities or allow them to study Bachelor of Fisheries Science. He said that the government should fill the field assistants’ posts in fisheries department with polytechnic diploma students.

Sekhar, another student from Kurnool, who completed the diploma two years ago, said he has failed to get employment so far. He said that the students spend more than Rs 1 lakh for the two year diploma course.

B. Vijaykumar of Vizianagaram, a student of the first batch, who completed the diploma course four years ago, said the government has failed to create jobs though they were well trained at field level.

Speaking to this newspaper, college principal K.S. Krishna Prasad said that students are being provided placements in the private sector. He said there was good demand for fisheries polytechnic students as 4,000 field assistants were required for private hatcheries and aquaculture companies in the state.

Prasad said the fisheries polytechnic college was set up for the first time in the country at Bhavaderapalli village. Now, the Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and West Bengal governments are also planning to open such colleges, he said.

Pages