IIT-H gets Japan aid | Deccan Chronicle
Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

IIT-H gets Japan aid

DC | Venkat Ram Reddy | 30th May 2013

Hyderabad: In a boost to IIT-Hyderabad, the Japan government has agreed to offer around 17.7 billion yen loan (nearly Rs 1,500 crore) to develop a permanent campus at Kandi village, in Medak district.

The construction work of the permanent campus is moving at snail’s pace due to paucity of funds. The timeline given for IIT-H for shifting to its permanent campus will end in June, but there has been no major progress on this front so far.

The institute continues to operate from its temporary campus in the Ordnance Factory, Yeddumailaram, in Medak district, five years after it started operations in June 2008.

“The amount will be used to construct nine buildings, which include a technology incubation centre, a research park and academic blocks and for procuring laboratory equipment from Japan,” said Prof U.B. Des-ai, director, IIT-Hyderabad.

Despite IIT-Hyderabad securing highest funds up to Rs 440 crore so far, from the Centre, among all the eight new IITs that were launched in 2008, to construct the new campus, a significant portion of these funds were utilised towards operational costs like running temporary campus since 2008, even as the construction cost has escalated to over Rs 800 crore now.

The Centre has released Rs 1,938 crore to eight new IITs till April 1, this year, for construction of permanent campuses. Of this, IIT-Hyderabad got the highest amount of Rs 440 crore.

However, except for constructing a boundary wall on the land spread over 550 acres, the civil works like construction of the academic blocks and other infrastructure facilities are yet to take off, on a full scale.

Next: IITs on a par with MIT, city challenges Tharoor

Pages

• 1
  • 2
Next