Jumbos electrocuted | Deccan Chronicle
Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 | Last Update : 01:01 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers
 
Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

You are here

Jumbos electrocuted

DC | 21st May 2013
The carcasses of the cow elephants killed by electric shock.	—DC
The carcasses of the cow elephants killed by electric shock. —DC

Krishnagiri: Two cow elephants died on Monday after they came into contact with a live Tangedco electric wire that passes through the reserved forest area in Denkannikottai taluk, near Hosur, of Krishnagiri.

On Monday morning, villagers found the carcass of two female elephants near their village and informed the forest range office in Denkannikottai. The officials who arrived at the spot recovered the carcasses. During investigation, they found that the jumbos had entered Denkannik­ottai village, on the fringes of the western ghats, to drink water from the Ayyur lake.

While on way to the lake, the two attempted to break a tree branch and accidentally came into contact with the live, low-tension wire transporting electricity to Bettamugilalam. The jumbos were electrocuted.

A medical team that conducted the post-mortem confirmed the age of elephants as 10 and 15 years. A.K. Ulaganathan, district forest officer for Krishnagiri, visited the spots where the carcasses were recovered and instructed the range officers to identify places having low-hanging Tangedco wires and make arrangements to remove them. 

States: 

Pages

Related articles

Write a comment
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.