TN doctor bags UPSC sixth rank | Deccan Chronicle
Sunday, Sep 21, 2014 | Last Update : 05:07 PM IST
Prayers
Prayers

Fajar: 5.08 am 
Zohar: 12.13 pm 
Asar: 4.16 pm 
Maghrib: 5.59 pm  
Isha: 7.07 pm

You are here

TN doctor bags UPSC sixth rank

DC | N. Arun Kumar | 04th May 2013
Thamburaj.
Thamburaj.

Chennai: “Hard work brings success and that’s my victory mantra,’’ said Dr Ashok Arun Thamburaj who secu­­red all India sixth rank and first rank from Tamil Nadu in the civil service final exam, results for which were announced on Friday.

Speaking to Deccan Chronicle on phone from Karnataka, where he has been posted for election duty, Dr Thamburaj said he had crac­ked the ex­am in 2011 in his first attempt to choose IPS (Delhi cadre) and at present he was under probation at the national police-training academy in Hyderabad.

“Right from my childhood, I wanted to become an IAS officer but I scored 197 out of 600 in Zoology in my first attempt due to which I had to take IPS. But now I am sure that I have scored more”, a jubilant Thamburaj said.

97 from TN clear civil services exam

Ninety-seven candidates from Tamil Nadu have cleared the UPSC civil service main exam this year for which results were announced on Friday. A total of 998 aspirants have been selected for 1,091 vacancies in four services, including Indian Admin­istrative Service, Indian Foreign Service, Indian Police Service and Central Services (A&B).

According to civil service trainers, 97 students from Tamil Nadu have cleared the final interview to join the civil service. “This year it was not an easy walk for students they had to take on the tough interview panel which fired aspirants with several questions. As our students had good training to answer any kind of questions they managed to outperform others to bag several slots in the list,” one of the trainers said.

Another trainer from a top city based IAS coaching academy felt that more engineers and doctors have been successful in clearing the exam as they were trained to clear analytical oriented questions.

Interestingly for the third consecutive year, a woman has topped the prestigious examination. Forty five students from Mayor Saidai Sa. Duraisamy’s Manida­neyam IAS academy cracked the finals successfully to get a slot in the all India list.

TN top ranker clears exam in second attempt

Dr Ashok Arun Tham­buraj, who secured all India sixth rank and first rank from Tamil Nadu in the civil service final exam, said he had taken Geography and Zoology as optional papers as he thought these papers would fetch him high marks.

He stood first from class I at St.Bedes Higher Seco­ndary School at Sant­home. Thamburaj had secured state first among police officers’ children and received chief minister’s gold medal.  Tham­buraj said he had belie­ved in change which made him attempt civil service for the second time.

As an MBBS student, Thamburaj had bagged two gold medals in Surgery and Gynecology subjects and finished his house surgeonship at Madras Medical College. He is the son of T. Ashok, former principal of the police training college in the city. His sister Vijayarani works as assistant professor at a private medical deemed university in the city.

States: 

Pages